Close stuck SSH sessions

Something I’ve been looking for as long as I’ve been using SSH is a way to force the SSH client to exit. When dealing with unreliable connections or working with embedded Linux devices, you can often end up with a SSH client that thinks it’s still logged in, and which insists on sending all keystrokes blindly into the aether until the connection finally times out.

There is a way out that doesn’t require opening another terminal to kill the SSH client: press enter, tilde (~), and then period (.), typing each as a separate keystroke. This doesn’t appear to be a well-known feature (perhaps it’s just my poor luck in looking for it), but can be quite a time saver.

6 comments

1. Gevious says:

Thats brilliant. I’ve often wondered how to break out of a dead ssh session. What an obscure way to do it. Thanks for the answer

2. lfz says:

What the math??!! It really does work, I wonder what’s the reasoning behind this choice of method to close the stuck sessions.

3. Gonzalo Cao says:

That was incredibly cool! So usefull! Looking how to close an ssh connection from another one I’ve find this simple-but-effective method.

Thanks a lot!

4. Adam says:

Thanks a ton. I SSHed into a Sonicwall router that I didn’t have credentials for and it wouldn’t let me out of the infinite loop of Login: Password: prompts, even with ctrl+c. This method worked by typing ~. into the login.

5. Aaron says:

Awesome! Not knowing how to get out of a dead session was starting to get on my nerves. Now let’s see if I can remember this cryptic sequence of keys :)

6. Anish Sane says:

I often get into a situation, when the ssh target system has crashed/panicked. & I had to use the dirty `kill ssh_pid` method to terminate the process. Thanks a lot for this info.